Monday, August 16, 2010

Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Disco Dan let the boys enjoy the day in the Big Apple. I was packing up all of Scott’s new toys and my clothes when there was a knock on the door. I opened it to see Jordan sheepishly standing with his hands in his pockets, looking extremely hung over.

“So I see you got home alright?” Jordan stated, but raised his voice at the end making it seem like a question.

“Yeah, yeah I did.” I said vaguely, leaning against the door. I just wanted to get this over with so I could go back to lounging around and watching TV with Scott. I haven’t had one of these days in a while.

“I’m sorry about last night. I won’t let it happen again. But you did miss a fucking great time.” Jordan promised. I knew he was trying to be sincere, he always had the right intentions, but he could never keep them. That was always a large problem in our relationship, whether he promised he wouldn’t flirt with his old girlfriend Jen or if it was promising to pick me up after lacrosse. He just couldn’t do it.

“No, it will.” I said dryly.

Jordan rolled his eyes. “Since when have you become such an uptight ass? I used to have to carry you home from parties.”

I narrowed my eyes. “Trust me, if I had that freedom I would still be doing that. Unlike some of us, I’ve learned how to grow up and accept my responsibilities.

Jordan opened his mouth as if he were going to argue with me, but changed his mind. He stood at the doorway awkwardly for a few minutes. “Can I see Scott?” He asked. Nothing bothers me more than the fact that he thinks he can go out and party all night, and then play house with Scott and me. He was going to have to learn how to compromise better.

I eased the door shut more, leaving only a crack. “No, sorry. He’s sleeping.” I fibbed. What Jordan doesn’t know, doesn’t hurt him.

“Tell him that I love him.”
“Will do.”

Jordan lingered in the doorway. “You need anything else?” I asked him.

He shook his head. “No, I’m good. See ya. Don’t forget to be ready by eight.” He reminded me.

I sat on the floor next to Scott where he was sitting up and pushing his favorite toy car in front of him. “Daddy wants me to tell you that he loves you.”

“Da-da?” Scott asked.

I forced a smile. “Yeah, your daddy loves you. I know he doesn’t always show it, but he loves you more than anything else in the world.”

“No.” Scott said shaking his head. “Ma-ma.”

“That’s right, Scotty. I love you more than any one else!” I said laughing and picking him up. I turned him upside down and began tickling his feet. Scott shrieked and laughed until I sat him back down on my lap.

“Shh..Scooby-Doo is back on.” I told him.

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

The great mood that Scott was in the morning was long gone. He was kept up during his nap because of his teething problem. To make this worse, he was so cranky he wouldn’t feed, which makes any bad mood into a terrible mood. By the time I had to meet Jordan and the team in the lobby, he was fussing and not cooperating to anything. Jordan was talking to Marc, Max, and Vero and Olivia was texting on her phone. The stark differences of our outfits showed how much we differed in personalities. To go to the airport and catch a flight, she was dressed in skinny jeans, heels, and a low-scoop tank-top. Meanwhile, I was dressed in a pair of yoga pants and an old lacrosse sweatshirt from high school. I was lucky that I had a chance to drag a brush through my hair and put on some mascara. I had Scott glued to my hip and was trying to juggle a baby bag and suitcase. Max came over to help me and tried to take Scott out of my arms. He reacted by letting out a loud cry and grasping onto my sweatshirt. Instead, Max took the baby bag.
“Seems like he wants to stay with his Momma, I can see why. She’s very beautiful.” Max said winking at me.

“What’s wrong with him?” Jordan asked peering at Scott as I hoisted him up higher.

I shrugged. “He’s just in one of his moods. If this boy doesn’t get his sleep and food,” I shook my head, “then we’re done for it.”


On the bus ride over, I tried to get Scott to settle in enough so he could sleep. He ignored my attempts though, fussing the whole way over and throwing any toys that I tried to entertain him with. I was able to take my shoes and earrings out in security while still holding him, but I knew I couldn’t go through with him. I sighed, this was going to be difficult, he was in one of his clingy moods. I looked around for Max, figuring he would be the best candidate for dealing with a moody baby.

“Here, let me take him.” Jordan offered, surprising me. He had already gone through security and was putting his hat back on. Jordan reached to take Scott out of my arms and I expected the same reaction out of him as when Max tried to take him. Instead, he went out of my arms and into Jordan’s without a problem, actually almost happily. I fought the twinge of jealousy flaring up in my stomach. Jordan grinned and let Scott settle against his broad chest. He turned to walk awhile, his gate getting bouncier as he realized Scott was happy. I went through the metal detectors and got my belongings back on and went to find Jordan and Scott. The site I saw shocked me. Jordan was sitting down talking to Marc and Vero. Scott was sprawled out across his chest, his head resting in the crook of Jordan’s shoulder, his eyes closed. Jordan got Scott to fall asleep just by holding him for ten minutes while I had been trying all night. Through out the conversation, Jordan kept glancing down at Scott proudly. I walked over and sat down next to Jordan.

Jordan smiled at me. “Look, he’s sleeping.” He said enthusiastically.

I laughed. “I see that.”

Jordan dug through his pocket and held something out on his hand for me. “Here, I got you some for the flight.” Sweetarts. Sweetarts have been my absolute favorite candy since I can remember. When we were dating, Jordan would buy me a pack of Sweetarts every day. I joked that he just wanted to fatten me up, but secretly I loved it. It worked out perfectly because I hated blues and oranges, and they were his favorite flavors while purple was my favorite flavor and his least. Marc-Andre and Vero became very quiet and were watching us closely.

“Thanks, I’ve gone like two weeks with out candy. Shocking, I know.” I said, trying to laugh it off. My sweet tooth was famous among the Staal’s.

Olivia came back with a magazine and water, narrowing her eyes when she was me sitting next to Jordan and Scott on his chest. This was most likely her worst nightmare, Jordan actually getting close to his son. She sat on his other side and possessively tried to put her arm around his neck.

“Stop it Liv, you’re going to wake him up.” Jordan whispered. Olivia looked pissed and left her arm there for a moment before lowering her arm. “Fine.” She pouted.

We all sat in the plastic chairs for a while, making small chit chat every once in a while. This time Vero was flying back with us. We boarded the flight with Jordan still carrying Scott and me trailing him with the baby bag. Jordan sat down next to Olivia and Marc-Andre, I was right in the middle of Vero and Max. Scott stirred, first rubbing his eyes and then looking at Jordan, clearly confused. He then opened his arms up to me and started speaking jibberish.

“Well, it was good while it lasted.” Jordan said smiling before handing Scott over to me. He settled in my lap and leaned his head against my chest. I reached in the bag and got his toy car, hoping it would entertain him for at least a little.

I had never been for relieved to get off a plane than I had then. I was tired and Scott was too, not a fun combination. I got my own suitcase and was wheeling it with Scott on my other hip. Jordan had his bag slung over his shoulder and was wheeling Olivia’s suitcase. Suddenly, he stopped and put one arm around me and the other around Olivia.

“Look, I have my two favorite girls and my favorite boy just in time for the holiday season. It’s just going to be a great Christmas.” Jordan said with a sudden burst of cheerfulness.

“Stop it.” Olivia said trying to shrug of his arm.

“What are you smoking?” I asked.

Jordan pouted, but took his arms off of us. “You are two are no fun.”

“Whatever.” Olivia said rolling her eyes.

“Bite me.” I said also rolling my eyes.

I sat in the backseat with Scott while Jordan drove us home. We were quiet the whole ride home, Jordan just fiddling with the radio flipping between stations. It drives me crazy when people flip through songs, never finishing one. You either pick one and listen to the whole thing, or not listen to it at all. I kept my mouth shut though, trying to become a bigger person. We got back to the apartment and Olivia and Jordan went right back to the bedroom, wanting to get changed-or I assumed. I sat down on the couch with Scott, flipping through the channels. I settled to watch Say Yes to the Dress, I’ve always had a fascinations with weddings. Scott began to cry and opening and closing his mouth, a sure fact that he was finally ready to eat. I took my sweatshirt off and put a blanket over my chest before guiding Scott to my breast. In a matter of no time, he was latched on and was sucking greedily. Jordan wondered in a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt and sat on the other end of the couch, stretching out.

“Really? Say Yes to the Dress?” He asked laughing.

I stuck my tongue out at him. “It’s either this or My Fair Wedding.” I informed him.

“Say Yes to the Dress, for sure then. Much more entertaining.” He said nodding his head and putting his head back down on the couch.

Olivia walked in and stood in front of us, crossing her arms across her chest. She stared at me. “Can you not do that here.”

“What?”

She pointed to Scott under the blanket. “If you’re going to do..that, please do it your room. You’re a guest here and I don’t want to see that.” Olivia said coldly.

Jordan opened his mouth to argue “Liv-“

“I don’t want to hear it from you.” Olivia snapped.

I could physically feel my blood pressure rise. “It’s called breast-feeding. There is nothing wrong or sexual with it, it’s a natural way to feed my son.” I snapped.

“Well, good for you that you believe that shit. I just don’t want to see it.” Olivia growled.

Jordan stared at us both helplessly. “Olivia, this isn’t necessary. I don’t mind it, there’s nothing wrong with breast-feeding.”

Olivia stared at him coldly. “Of course you defend her.” She hissed before stalking back to their bedroom.

I expected Jordan to get up and go apologize to her, make her forgive him. Instead, he stayed on the couch, turning up the volume on the television. “Sorry.”

I shook my head. “Whatever.”

+=+=+=+=+

Jordan had a few days off before playing the Minnesota Wild at home. They won 4-1, Jordan scoring an empty net goal at the end. I once again was left to take a cab home and had a very drunk Olivia and Jordan wake Scott up when they came home. I could quickly begin to see a bad pattern form. None the less, all I had did was tease Jordan that it seemed like he could only score empty net goals. He proved me wrong though Saturday night, scoring the game-tying goal against the Blackhawks at the last possible second. It proved to not be enough though, Kris Versteeg scored in overtime winning it for the Hawks. I personally couldn’t be too disappointed, I had too much fun watching Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews skate around. They were two beautiful men. Veronique took Scott down to the locker room for me, so I could to go the bathroom. I went to the bathroom and then walked around the old hallways of Mellon Arena that I didn’t know well. It took me only a few minutes to realize that I was utterly lost. I was too busy looking for a sign to realize that some one was walking the other direction. I ran right into him and the first thing I noticed was that he had a very muscular chest, so hard in fact I bounced right off of him. His hands shot out and grabbed my arms, so I wouldn’t topple backwards. I looked up to see that I was standing just mere inches away from Patrick Kane.

He flashed me a dazzling smile. “You should watch where you’re walking.”

I laughed. “You’re probably right.”

I felt his gaze rake over me, zeroing in on my chest. I cleared my throat loudly making him look up and blush. “Oh..so you’re a Penguins fan?” He asked trying to make up for his mistake.

“Nah not really, I’m a Maple Leafs fan.”

He winced. “How’s that going for you?”

“Not good.”

He laughed before holding out his hand. “I’m Patrick.”

I shook his extended hand. “And I’m Marie.”

“Are you dating one of the players?”

“Nope, I’m free.” I said smiling at him. I just have a son with one of them I thought to myself.

Patrick’s smile widened. “Well what’s your number? I’ll make sure to call you next time I’m in town.”

I gave him my number before stepping back. “I look forward to a call.”

Patrick smirked. “You shouldn’t have to wait long.” I turned around and walked down the hallway, feeling ridiciously giddy after the encounter. I found the locker room and pushed the door open, still having a stupid smile plastered over my face.

“Took you long enough.” Jordan grumbled before lucking up. “What are you so happy about?”

“Oh nothing.” I said laughing before going to get Scott from Vero.

9 comments:

  1. Ooh! Jordan seems to defending Marie a lot, hopefully something will happen between them soon and that Jordan is going to kick Olivia to the curb LOL!!! Also I wonder whats going to happen between Patrick Kane and Marie!

    Great update can't with for more

    ReplyDelete
  2. so excited to see an update! can't wait for more clashing between Marie and Olivia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you are updating soon! I can't wait to find out what happens next for Marie and Jordan....and Olivia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you should update at first chance :) please!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really hope you haven't forgotten about this story!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really hope this isnt the end.

    ReplyDelete