Monday, April 26, 2010

Chapter 12

How bout them Pens? :D



Chapter 12

We were driving down the dark roads of Pittsburgh when I saw a small convenience store on the side of the road.
“Stop.” I ordered. Jordan let out a loud sigh, but did as I directed and pulled into the small parking lot. I jumped out of the car, but Jordan’s voice interrupted me.
“Isn’t this a shady place to be at 1 in the morning?” He asked hesitantly.
I scoffed. “I’m a big girl, Jordan. I can take care of myself.” He rolled his eyes but let me go without any more complaints. I heard the unmistakable click of the door cars locking. Wow. The big, bad Jordan Staal was afraid of a little convenience store at night. I walked in and got a black coffee before adding some of my own ice to it. I grabbed a Crunch bar and paid before heading back to the car. I banged on the window before he unlocked it and I got in.
“Iced coffee? In late November?” He asked.
I shrugged. “I don’t like hot drinks.”
Jordan rolled his eyes. “Oh yeah, I forgot about your phobia of burning your mouth or something. At least I don’t have to test everything for you know and burn my own tongue.”
I blushed. “Exactly. That’s why I invented ice coffee.
“Oh, you invented ice coffee? Hmm right.” Jordan teased.
“Yeah, of course. Dunkin Donuts ripped me off.” I stated. He pulled into a parking spot and popped the trunk. This time he let me roll my suitcase without a word and we headed into the lobby of the apartment complexes. We took the elevator to the top floor and he unlocked the door. Jordan’s flat was large with high ceilings. There was a family type room with a leather couch and several comfortable chairs. There was a flat screen TV mounted on the wall and pushed against the wall was a pool table. Beneath the table was a fireplace. This was obviously where Jordan and Olivia entertained their guests. Connected to the family room was a hallway where I saw few doors, so I assumed that’s where the bedrooms were. An open doorway from the family room led into the kitchen. The spacious kitchen was one of the nicest I’ve seen. It had all the newest gadgets and it was finished off with tiled floor and a granite island and counters. Too bad I sucked at cooking too much to actually use it. Jordan dropped his bag in the closet next to the doorway and led me down the hallway. He paused to a door on the left, “That’s the guest room. There’s a bathroom in there,” he said and continued to the end of the hallway “and this can be Scott’s room.”
I crossed my arms. “But I’m not living here, remember?” I reminded him.
Jordan frowned. “We’ll talk about it later.”
“No, Jordan, we won’t. We already did, I’m not living here with you and Olivia.” I repeated.
“It’s late, I don’t feel like arguing right now. Good night, Marie.” Jordan snapped before going to his room. I headed into the guest room and changed into a pair of sweatpants and a tank top. I dug my pillow out of my suitcase and collapsed onto the bed.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

I rolled over and blinked wearily. Why the hell was the sun shining so brightly? Shouldn’t it be dark? I looked at the alarm clock: 12:30 PM. Holy shit! I have to feed Scott and change him! How did I sleep through all of his cries? Then I remembered where I was and where Scott was. I groaned and sat up, this was the first time in a year I slept in this much. I rolled out of bed and headed towards the kitchen to fill my grumbling stomach. Thankfully, Jordan wasn’t home. I got a bowl of Fruit Loops and sat down on the counter. As soon as I finished pouring the milk, Jordan entered the door.
“Nice hair.” He smirked. I self-consciously ran a hand through my hair, the crazy curls were sticking in several directions.
“Whatever.” I muttered.
“So, I got you a shirt for the game tonight.” He said changing the subject.
“Game?” I asked.
“Yeah, we’re playing at home tonight. Oh yeah, Marc wants to see you tonight.” He explained.
“Marc? What?” I asked confused.
“We’re playing the Rangers tonight. You can go meet with him before the game in the Rangers locker room. For the game, I got you a ticket next to some of the players girlfriends and wives. They are really nice. Then after the game you can meet all the guys.” Jordan told me.

Several things about that annoyed me. The most being that Jordan thought he could just tell me what I wanted to do and I would follow it like a dog on a leash. I get to decide who I meet and when I do it. The second being that he was acting like meeting all of these people would be no big deal.

“Um, I don’t want to meet your teammates yet.” I clarified.

He burrowed his eyebrows at me. “Why not?”

He’s a male, I wouldn’t expect him to get it. “Because they are going to think that I’m just a slut that you feel bad for because you knocked up.” I explained.

“No they wouldn’t. A few of the guys like Flower and Sid might even recognize your name from the beginning of my rookie season. The girls won’t judge you, they are really friendly. Plus, you’re not a slut. I had a relationship with you.”

“We didn’t have a relationship when Scott was conceived.” I pointed out.

Jordan rolled his eyes. “Is that really that important? None of the guys will think of that.”

“Alright, I’ll go to the game because I want to.” I said hoping he picked up the hint. Of course he didn’t.

“Yeah, I know. I just told you that. I’m going to go get my pre-game nap.” Jordan replied before heading into his bedroom. I know that Jordan is less superstitious than other players, but his pre-game nap was very important.

I spent the rest of the afternoon talking on the phone with Mrs. Staal. She told me all of the fun things she and Scott and had. It made my heart physically hurt how much I missed him. About an hour before I knew Jordan was heading to the arena, I took a shower and blow-dried my hair. I changed into a pair of jeans and the Pittsburgh Penguins t-shirt Jordan had left on the table. I put my hair up in a high messy bun and a plastic black headband to keep my bangs back. For the first time in a while, I brushed on some make up. Ever since I had Scott I had become less concerned about my appearance. Tonight had to go perfect though. I slipped on a pair of sneakers and waited in the family room for Jordan. We got into his car without a word and I bounced my leg up and down the whole time. I knew that it was driving Jordan crazy, but for once he didn’t say anything. He parked and we walked into the arena together.

“Alright, the visitors locker room is over there,” he said pointing to the left “and Marc will be in there. Here’s your ticket, just ask a bouncer where it is and they’ll show you.” Jordan explained.

I nodded and headed into the direction of the visitors locker room. A guard was standing outside the door and he stopped me.

“Name?”

“Marie Haefner.”

He nodded and stepped outside, so I could push open the door. I almost immediately ran into a man.

“Look what the cat dragged in. A Penguins fan.” Sean Avery sneered.

I put my hands on my hips and opened my mouth to say something. Sean Avery annoyed the shit out of me. Besides, I wasn’t even a Penguins fan.

“Sean, leave her alone. She’s my brother’s..uh, actually she’s a friend.” Marc said annoyed. He smiled immediately when he saw me. “Marie!” He yelled out.

I walked self-consciously across the locker room to greet him. All of the players had stopped to watch me. I awkwardly gave Marc a hug in all of his hockey gear.

“You’re looking great. How’s the little boy doing? I heard Mom had kidnapped him.” He said grinning.

“Actually, he seems to be doing great. He just needs to stay on his medicine and hopefully there won’t be any long-term effects. Do you want to see some pictures?”

“Of course!”

I pulled out my phone and began browsing through them with Marc. I pointed out where they were and how old he was in most of them. Marc would chuckle occasionally when Scott would be covered in god knows what.

“I’m happy to say that he took after his dashing Uncle Marc. Speaking of that, I’ll be his favorite uncle. Look what I got him.” Marc said before handing me a bag from his stall. I opened it to see a Staal Rangers jersey for Scott.

I groaned. “Not you too. Eric already got Scott a Hurricanes jersey.”

“Yeah well, let the kid wear a little class.” Marc replied.

I checked my watch, “Well, I’m going to get out of your hair. I’ll see you in a few days I guess than.” I told him. He gave me one final hug. The game started at 7:30, so I waited around until 7:25. I normally wasn’t this nervous about meeting new people, but something about this society made me fidget. I always figured the girlfriends of NHL hockey players were a mix of classy, sophisticated woman or trashy puck fucks. I was a eighteen-soon to be nineteen- year old kid, I didn’t fit in either. The bouncer led me to a seat that was a few sections off the ice. I saw a few children with signs of “Best Dad Ever #13.” This must be the family section. The section for wives, girlfriends, and relatives. I was neither, so what was I doing here? I sat down next to two woman that chatting to each other, words flying from their mouths. It wasn’t until I dropped my purse underneath the seat and sat on the edge of it that they noticed me.

“Oh, you must be Marie?” The dark-headed one asked.

“Yeah, I am.” I responded.

She smiled. “It’s nice to meet you. I’m Vero and this is Kelsey.” Vero explained. She had a thick French-Canadian accent and has classic beauty.

“Where are you from?” Kelsey asked. She also had a Canadian accent.

“Just from Thunder Bay also.” I replied.

“And how old are you? I think Jordan mentioned that you are a few years younger than him.” Vero asked.

I looked at my hands. “I’m eighteen.” I saw Kelsey and Vero’s eyes both widen. “Almost nineteen, my birthday is in a few weeks.” I added.

They talked to me the whole game. Vero even added in a little cheer with me when Marc scored, so I wouldn’t be the only one in the whole arena. Once they got past the shock that I was so young, they were very nice. Vero introduced me to some of the older players wives and their kids. Chris Kunitz’s wife, Maureen, even offered to have play dates between Scott and their baby, Zach. I tried not to get into the game too much, but I was on my feet roaring like every one else when Sidney Crosby got a hat trick. As we were making our way to the locker room after the game, Vero made a comment.

“The boys are going to be in a great mood. Except a hard night partying at the club.” Vero teased.

I tired to keep my excitement down. “Oh, I see.”

Vero laughed. “You can’t hide that smile.”

I laughed also. “When I was in high school, I definitely liked to party a little. Since having Scott I haven’t been able to have a life for the past year.” I admitted.

Kelsey knocked her elbow with mine and winked. “Don’t worry, we still like to party also.”

Jordan seemed relieved to see me laughing with Vero and Kelsey when he came out of the locker room.

“Good game, eh?” He asked me.

“Yeah, Marc’s goal was incredible.” I teased him.

“You would only see that.” He grumbled.

I shrugged, “I can’t help that he’s one of my favorite Staal’s.”

“Yeah, yeah. Whatever. We’re partying at Diesel, that okay with you?” He asked.

I shook my head eagerly. “More than okay.” A small group of us consisting of Tyler, Kelsey, Vero, Flower, Max, Gogo, and Sidney. The whole way over the guys were teasing Max, asking which piece of ass he was going to get tonight. When we were entering the club Jordan made sure I was in the middle of the crowd, so there would be no chance that I would get carded. We all squeezed into a booth and after a few rounds of drinks, I was buzzed.

“Why doesn’t any one want to dance?” Kelsey giggled. She definitely had had a few more drinks than she needed.

“Because I suck at dancing.” I said laughing. It was true, I broke my foot dancing in the family room with my sister once.

I had just finished a drink when a knew one got sent my way. I was confused because we had been getting drinks in rounds and no one else had finished.

“What’s this?” I asked the bartender.

“A rum and coke..” He said confused.

“No, where did it come from?” I said starting to get impatient.

“From that gentleman over there.” He said pointing to a man that was looking at us from the bar. He seemed to be tall with broad shoulders and blonde hair with blue eyes. He nodded his head at me when he saw I got the drink.

“Oh hot damn.” I muttered to myself.

“He’s a cutie.” Kelsey slurred.

I pushed Jordan out of the stall with the drink in my hand before heading to the bar to meet this mysterious man.

Jordan’s POV

I saw Marie down drink after drink. I knew how hard it must have been for her to give up partying since she found she was pregnant and after she had Scott. She certainly was making up for lost time. She headed right over to the bar after that guy bought her the drink. She sat down at the bar next to the guy. After a few minutes she slapped his shoulder and I saw a wide smile lit up her face. Was that guy even saying that would be so funny? The unknown fella led her out to the dance floor and Marie was in all of her glory. Her black, curly hair was flying everywhere while she was grinding into him. Marie was doing what she did best, looking sexy. The grip on my on shot glass tightened so much it almost shattered.

“You do remember that you’re engaged, right?” Flower reminded me.

“Yeah, I know.” I snapped.

“Well, you’re looking at the girl with complete lust in your eyes.”

“No, no, I’m not.” I disagreed.

“I gotta go with Flower on this one.” Sidney agreed. I shot him a glare, he wasn’t supposed to agree.

“It’s more than that. He’s looking at her the way you look at me.” Vero told Marc.

“You know I’m right here, right?” I glanced over back on the dance floor to see that the scene had changed. The guy had taken her hand and started to try and lead her to more of the private rooms. Marie’s face looked panicked even though she was completely drunk and the guy looked annoyed. I stood up quickly and took long strides over to them. I couldn’t let anything happen to her, for Scott’s sake. Then he would just be left with a dickhead of a father. I shoved the guy roughly backwards.

“I think you need to leave.” I growled.

“What are you, her boyfriend or something?” He sneered.

“No he’s not.” Marie slurred.

“Shut up Marie, not know.” I told her. I felt bad yelling at her, but now wasn’t the time.

“See that table over there? You don’t leave now and you’ll be facing all of us.” I threatened. The guy’s smile faltered and he quickly headed back to the bar.

“I don’t want to go to the back room. My head hurts.” Marie slurred. I wrapped my arm around her waist and started dragging her out of the club.

“No, no. I don’t want to go.” She muttered. I hailed a cab and helped her get into the back of it before getting in myself. I gave the cab driver my address before returning my attention back to Marie.

“My head hurts.” She repeated.

“Here, put it on my shoulder.” I said feeling guilty. I should have known that she would have had too many drinks. She buried her head on my shoulder, something I know she would never knew if she were sober. Her hair was tickling my face and her hot breathe was breathing down my neck, her lips brushing it.

“Mmm, better.” She said finally sighing. She was silent for most of the cab ride before the very end.

“I’m scared.”

“Don’t worry, I have your back.” I promised.

3 comments:

  1. Criminy... a lot of stuff in that chapter*

    I lvoe that no matter who writes a story, we always make Vero the nicest girlfriend out of the bunch!

    Jordan needs to dump Olivia... Even V and MAF can see that he loves Marie!

    And Marc with the jersey present... how cute is that?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope there is an update soon! I'm checking back all the time! lol

    ReplyDelete